Harry Kim has a very bad day (again).
Tuvok does the time warp, sort of.
(This is late because, well, turns out that working from home comes in two speeds: super slow, do all the blogging; and YOU WILL WORK SEVEN DAYS IN A ROW AND YOUR BACK WILL REFLEXIVELY SEIZE UP WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR DESK. Guess which mode I’ve been in lately?)
Anika and Liz are joined by Jules (of @juleshastweets and Bad Pajamas) to talk about our favourite villains! Complete with sidebars about Star Wars and Avatar: The Last Airbender, and a a brief reinvention as an Expanse podcast.
Topics of discussion include:
- villains versus antagonists
- redemption arcs
- the mirror universe
- is Emperor Georgiou the Garak of Discovery?
- maybe Quark isn’t a villain, but he should definitely be in jail
- speaking of incarceration — Garak gets six months for attempted genocide, while Kasidy Yates gets the same sentence for smuggling medical supplies to the Maquis? Really?
- concept: the Prophets are not good people
- the magnificence of General Chang
Finally, going technically off-topic but when did we ever let that stop us, Julia talks about Picard‘s golem and Jewish myth.
With Star Trek: Picard‘s first season done, and Discovery‘s third likely postponed for COVID-19 reasons, it’s back to the ’90s for me! Specifically, 1996, which excuses the special effects but not the writing.
Good news! The finale is better than last week’s episode!